In 2020, Kinder Foundation made a crucial donation of $1 million to Houston Food Bank to assist in the monumental task of feeding Houstonians impacted by COVID-19. For each $1 received, the Houston Food Bank provided three meals to the community, meaning the Foundation’s grant supplied three million meals during this critical time.
In February 2021, Kinder Foundation donated $1 million to the Houston Food Bank to help families hit hard by the recent arctic freeze. The 3-to-1 matching grant was to be used for immediate needs following the catastrophic impact of Winter Storm Uri, and given in the hopes that it inspires others to also donate to Houston Food Bank to help our neighbors in need.
Previously, in 2013, the Foundation donated $1 million to the Houston Food Bank to support the Backpack Buddy program, the largest single donation that the program had received to date. Many children who rely on free or reduced-price lunches during the school year go home to meager or no meals on weekends. Launched in 2006, the Houston Food Bank’s Backpack Buddy program works to fill that gap.
In 2008, the Houston Food Bank launched a $55 million capital campaign to move to a larger facility that would allow it to distribute 100% more food to hungry families in the Houston area. The Kinder Foundation stepped up in 2009 with a $1 million donation to fund the Portwall Facility’s Repack Room, which improved the Food Bank’s capacity to help hungry families by serving as a place for volunteers to repack bulk items into smaller-sized quantities for distribution.houstonfoodbank.org
News & Press
- KINDER FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES $1 MILLION MATCH DONATION TO HOUSTON FOOD BANK TO SUPPORT WINTER STORM URI RELIEF —Press Release
- Kinder Foundation donates $1M to Houston Food Bank for winter storm relief —Houston Business Journal
- KINDER FOUNDATION GIFTS $1 MILLION TO HOUSTON FOOD BANK TO FEED HOUSTONIANS IMPACTED BY COVID-19 —Press Release
- Houston Food Bank receives $1 million gift from Kinder Foundation —Houston Chronicle
- Kinder Foundation Donates $1 Million to Feed Hungry Kids —KUHF-FM Houston Public Radio
- $1 million Kinder gift to Backpack Buddy effort means fewer school kids arrive hungry —Houston Chronicle
- Kinder Foundation donates $1 million to Houston Food Bank —Houston Business Journal
- Houston Food Bank announces $1 million gift from the Kinder Foundation to provide for chronically hungry children —Press Release